THE LOFTS | Morgantown, WV
Job Title : Community Assistant
Department(s) : Operations
Reports to : Resident Service Manager/Executive Director
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assume a primary leadership role, serving as a role model for responsible behavior and personal integrity; exercise good judgment. Be a law abiding citizen.
Help establish community norms and ground rules to ensure open and honest communication and responsible student conduct.
Attend weekly staff meetings and contribute to the work of the staff.
Know all of your residents that live in your buildings and be interested and active in their wellbeing at Pointe West
Develop strong facilitation, effective communication and other leadership skills by participating in all training and orientation programs.
Work with fellow staff in a positive and respectful manner.
Must be on duty at various times throughout the semester, according to the duty schedule. Possibly function as a desk attendant during duty and perform the duties as required.
Attend and participate in all in-service training programs, staff meetings and activities, which occur throughout the year. Absences from the in-service programs, staff meetings, and activities without permission of the Executive Director or Assistant Director can result in termination of employment. The in-services, staff meetings, and activities are designed to equip the Community Assistant to handle the responsibilities of the position.
Community Assistants are on call 24-hours a day. You may be asked to help out during a time you were not assigned duty, in cases of emergencies and special events.
Realize that staff are required to share information with supervisors and will not be able to preserve confidentiality of individual residents (duty to report).
During times of staff selection, all staff may take an active role in interviewing applicants as determined by the selection committee.
Attend retreats and staff development activities each semester.
As a model resident, your suite must be presentable and available for tours. You may be required to be a tour guide if necessary.
- Weekly hours required in the leasing office.
- Submit maintenance requests to maintenance staff in a clear and timely manner.
- Work closely with custodial personnel to help them accomplish their goals as efficiently as possible.
- Know and educate residents about the emergency response protocols and procedures. Assume a leadership role in crises.
- Submit completed information reports (IR’s) in regards to policy violations within the required deadline.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Within established guidelines, confront policy violations as they arise and promptly advise your supervisor via email and printed hardcopy, and/or by phone.
- Know and educate residents about Pointe West policies, procedures, regulations, and community standards.
- Submit documentation of policy violations in a timely fashion as required.
- In all cases keep the Executive Director (ED) informed of behavioral problems and actions taken. Ex. (Suicidal students, sexual assault, eating disorders, etc.)
- Be a law abiding citizen and an example to your fellow staff and residents. Failure to do this may result in termination.
- Other duties as assigned.
Personal and Group Responsibilities in the Community
- Know and establish a good rapport with residents for whom you are responsible.
- Treat all persons with respect and dignity. Treat them as they want to be treated.
- Serve as a source of information about the University/College and its services.
- Help to maintain an environment where residents respect each other’s rights.
- Plan and promote educational opportunities and programs in Pointe West
- Assist the ED with advising committees, council or special projects. The Directors will mutually determine these duties.